John Hart 5133 Milne Dr, Torrance, CA 90505 Cell: 310-283-0264 E-mail: email@example.com
Award winning lead digital artist with over 20 years of experience in character and hard surface textures, lighting and matte painting for feature films, television and commercials. Supervisory experience with multi-national teams. Experience working on special non-disclosure projects.
Professional Recognition _
Visual Effects Society Award
Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Motion Picture for Spider-Man 2: New York City Street Night
Mari, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Unreal, Mudbox, ZBrush, Photoshop, Maya, Houdini, Nuke, Arnold, V-Ray, Photogrammetry.
In the past 20 years I have had the privilege of working with some of the most talented people in the industry. I have been a part of Oscar winning teams for Best Visual Effects on five films: Titanic, Spiderman 2, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Snow White and the Huntsman. Listed below are companies I have worked for and a breakdown of each of the projects.
DreamWorks TV, Digital Domain, Rhythm & Hues, Centropolis FX, Sony Imageworks, Asylum Visual Effects, Moving Picture Company, Mirada, Method Studios, Framestore, Fuhu Inc.
DreamWorks TV, Glendale CA Feb 2019–Present
- Worked as surfacing point person on Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight, and Doug Unplugs.
- As surfacing point person I was responsible for creating design notes for each asset that would be sent to our partner studios to be surfaced.
- Attended meetings with Art Department and show production to ensure a clear understanding of how an asset would be used and what details would be in the model or added in surfacing.
- This process was important to note any texture switches, material switches, display switches, view port display switches, as needed for the asset.
- I was then responsible for reviewing all sets, props, characters for the show as surfacing went through the review process. Making sure that the look and feel of the asset matched the Art Direction and that each channel was created in a way to support the Artwork.
- Making sure that textures, shaders and shader nodes were named correctly and that the shaders conformed to the DWTV pipeline standards for the show.
- Tested surfacing pipeline for implementation of changes on future shows.
- Helped develop a surfacing pipeline for our newer process of 3D Cyclorama.
- Suggested ideas to improve the surfacing pipeline from my many years of working with different surfacing pipelines to find the best solutions and practices.
- Painted in house assets to stress test pipeline before the show would begin with partner studio.
- Painted hero character Wandering Blade for the Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight.
- Painted Jungle set for Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous.
- Painted textures for props, sets and environments for Fast & Furious: SpyRacers.
Framestore, Los Angeles, CA Jan 2018 – Jan 2019
Senior Texture Artist
- Painted textures for animals in Toyota commercial.
- Painted textures for stuffed bunny character for public service ad NRMA, Don’t Drive Naughty, Drive Nice.
- Painted textures for special None Disclosure projects and product designs.
Method Studios, Los Angeles, CA Sep 2016 – Nov 2017
Senior Texture Artist
- Painted character textures for Target commercials
- Painted character textures for Farmers Insurance “Moose” and “Octopus”commercials
- Painted textures for special None Disclosure projects and product design.
Mirada,Method Studios, MPC, Rhythm & Hues Sep 2015 – Sep 2016
Senior Texture Artist and Matte Painting
- Texture for commercials, and TV (Game of Thrones and Walking Dead)
- Textures and matte paintings for Target holiday commercials
FUHU inc, El Segundo, CA Oct 2014 – Aug 2015
Lead Texture Artist
- Painted textures for characters and environments for animation for Nabi educational tablets.
- Developed matte painting pipeline for Mari 3D paint software
MPC, Santa Monica, CA Sep 2014 – Sep 2014
- Painted textures for city environment in Fiat commercial
Rhythm & Hues, El Segundo, CA Jun 2014 – July 2014
- Painted textures for ride film project
Mirada, Playa del Rey, CA Apr 2014 – Jun 2014
Texture Artist and Matte Painting
- Painted textures and matte paintings for Mario Kart 8 and eTrade commercials
MPC, Santa Monica, CA Sep 2013 – Mar 2014
Texture Artist and Matte Painting
- Painted textures and matte paintings for Re/Max commercials
- Painted textures for XBox commercial, RYSE
Digital Domain, Venice, CA Mar 2013 – Aug 2013
Black Sky (Feature Film) 2013
- Transferred files form Rhythm & Hues pipeline to Digital Domain pipeline
- Continued texturing environments and props
Rhythm & Hues, El Segundo, CA Dec 2010 – Mar 2013
Black Sky (Feature Film) 2013
- Lead Texture Artist (Supervised 4 Artists in India and 2 Artists in Los Angeles)
- Environment textures (Barn, house, car dealership, trucks, school hall way, props)
- Digital Double
R.I.P.D. (Feature Film) 2013
- Environment textures (Evidence Room) Props(Orb, street sweeper, plane)
Hunger Games (Feature Film) 2012
- Environment textures (Dam, train, and track for entry to city, City parade route Day time)
Snow White and the Huntsman (Feature Film) 2012
- Character textures (White Stag) and environment textures (Enchanted Forest)
Chronicle (Feature Film) 2012
- Prop textures
Alvin and the Chipmunks, Chipwrecked (Feature Film) 2011
- Textured character wardrobe and props
Hop (Feature Film) 2011
- Scene Lighting for factory and hangar in night scenes
Asylum, Santa Monica, CA Nov 2006 – Nov 2010 Lead Texture Artist
- Textured props, backgrounds and animated characters for commercials and feature film
Unstoppable (Feature Film) 2010
- Painted CG train and refinery
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (Feature Film) 2010
- Textured Ring Dragon, CG replacement hand on Horvath and CG automobiles
The Taking of Pelham 123 (Feature Film) 2009
- Textured subway car, undercarriage replacement for live-action car
Terminator Salvation (Feature Film) 2009
- Painted T600 robot and Marcus’ chest and head damage
The Unborn (Feature Film) 2009
- Painted vein maps to be used by compositors for character transformations
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Feature Film) 2008
- Painted submarine and background tugboat textures
National Treasure: Book of Secrets (Feature Film) 2007
- Painted city of gold and gold statue replacement
- Matte paintings for various backgrounds
Zoic, Radium, Yu& Co, Los Angeles, CA Jun 2006 – Nov 2006
Freelance Texture Artist
- Created textures for commercials and feature film
Rhythm & Hues Studios, Los Angeles, CA Apr 2006 – Jun 2006
Night at the Museum (Feature Film)
- Textured diorama people and props
Sony Imageworks, Culver City, CA Jan 2005 – Apr 2006
Texture and Lighting Artist
Monster House (Feature Film)
- Creating textures for interior and exterior of main character’s house, other houses and interior props
- Lighting and compositing
Rhythm & Hues Studios, Los Angeles, CA Sep 2004 – Jan 2005
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Feature Film)
- Textured weapons
Sony Imageworks, Culver City, CA Nov 2002 – Jun 2004
Spider-man 2 (Feature Film)
- Created textures for New York buildings, streets, sidewalks, subway train, tracks and supports, fusion machine, fire truck, cars, end of train track stopper
- VES Award, Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Picture
Digital Domain, Venice, CA Dec 1999 – Aug 2002
Texture Artist/Matte Painter
Star Trek (Feature Film)
- Created damaged textures for Enterprise
- Painted textures for space dock
XXX (Feature Film)
- Created textures for the Ahab submarine
- Textured CG Character for shots with the Ahab submarine
- Made snowboard suit used for the CG character in the avalanche shots
Time Machine (Feature Film)
- Created textures for the greenhouse glass, wooden boxes and dirt textures for the greenhouse framework
- Produced clean plate of garage so that desks and workbenches could be removed over time-lapsed shot
- Painted all furniture out of room for live action plate of time machine
- Textured background including street, buildings and cars
The Grinch (Feature Film)
- Painted matte painting of the Grinch’s mountain with snow-covered trees
Storm Rider (Project for Disney Japan Theme Park)
- Created two 4k matte paintings, an interior of a hanger and a sky at sunset
X-Men (Feature Film)
- Textured suit, face and hair for Wolverine character
- Created skin, face, and vein textures for Senator Kelly’s death
- Created photo-real textures for CG woman
Centropolis Effects, Culver City, CA Jan 1998 – Nov 1999
Texture and Lighting Artist/Animator
Stuart Little (Feature Film)
- Used UV projection tool to create textures from clean plate
- Rendered beauty pass, mattes, whiskers, and fur pass
Unglued (Feature Film)
- Conceptualized shot used in introduction to movie
The Faculty (Feature Film)
- Established Lighting of creature to match to live-action plates
Godzilla (Feature Film)
- Created polygons from Godzilla animation for effects shots
- Set up lighting for Godzilla
- Modeled geometry used to create lighting effects
- Tracked spotlights to background plate for volumetric pass
- Transferred animation from the low-resolution animation model to the high-resolution model for rendering
- Rendered (Iridescent, Constant, Wet, Z-Depth, Shadow, Red, Green, Blue and Volumetric) passes of Godzilla, bridge cables and the Brooklyn Bridge
- Animated bridge cables using dynamic simulation in Softimage
Digital Domain, Venice, CA Apr 1996 – Aug 1997
Titanic (Feature Film)
- Created textures for clothing of Rose, Captain Smith, First Officer Murdoch, a little girl passenger and the digital crew
- Developed textures for face and head map of Rose, Captain Smith, First Officer Murdoch and other passengers
- Textured life vests on passengers
- Modeled and textured lifeboats
- Set up lighting to be used in Renderman renders
- Worked on integration team of render pipeline
- Created scripts for Renderman
- Rendered computer generated characters and lifeboats
- Modeled and textured geometry of game levels
University of California, Santa Cruz June 1994
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Art